Saturday, February 12, 2011

Just Another Fool

I’m going to try to make this the shortest entry yet. I’m jumping straight in.
Summary
This blog was written by a man named Logan, originally just as a typical blog, but after receiving a notebook from a deceased friend and military man, Matt, who had encountered a Slender Man. It was Matt’s belief that a Slender Man had wiped out his entire squad (I’m sorry if this is incorrect, but I’m not familiar with military terminology). The official story was that two children had set off a bomb which slung the three men who died into a tree. By Matt’s story, Slender Man targeted the children, the soldiers attacked it, and three were killed and ended up in said tree. Matt was institutionalized and died some time later.
The notebook found its way back to Logan, who had originally given it as a gift. It was filled with sketchy, heavily drawn pictures, sometimes with cryptic messages that spanned multiple pages using cuts made from pressing too hard while writing. This was the trigger that led to Logan’s own interactions with a Slender Man. He too was driven to begin sketching in the same notebook in a similar manner, even modifying the existing sketches.
Eventually Logan was apparently driven completely insane and abandoned the blog, though he apparently is still at large, though I haven’t had the chance to properly look into it yet.
Observations
This brings up the subject of drawings. Slender Man victims often are compelled to draw the figure of the creature and cryptic messages, often with references to seeing or being seen. This could be viewed as the artist slipping down the slope of insanity, or as a coping mechanism. It isn’t quite clear. However, it is fairly common among victims, though not absolutely so.
Other than the military action taken, there isn’t any particular item I can recall that was of significance.
Conclusion
Simply put, drawings of the creature are something victims may be driven to create. Why or how is not yet clear. That’s really all I could draw from this that hasn’t already come up in previous logs.
I plan to look into The Tutorial next. However, I may not as there are some other things I would like to recap beforehand. I will decide shortly whether or not it’s really important enough to ramble on about.

2 comments:

  1. Hello there.
    I find your straightforward, rational approach a very fresh take on the Slender Man myth, as I myself have a want for concrete answers and facts on this dangerously real being. So far you are taking the right path by reviewing previous Slender Stories, as what better way to learn about Him than to observe Him (or them, if you truly believe there is a species of Slendermen)? Though I do think you left out key pieces of highly informative details found in Just Another Fool.

    Logan, as you incorrectly assumed, is not still roaming about but is in fact confirmed dead, by the other poster Joshua (who is also assumed dead, but that is just an assumption) whose last post (made last year in January) actually claimed he was leaving to identify the [Logan's] body.

    But that is not so much the point that you are overlooking as the key detail presented in JAF--it is the concrete evidence that the Slender Man made victims out of every one who came into awareness of his existence via the crazed drawings, from Matt, to Logan, and then to Joshua. (Although how Matt first contacted him in Iraq is unknown).
    This evidence (which can also be found in practically any other slender b/vlog) can back your claim (and others' claims) that the Slender Man spreads to other prey by this 'awareness' method. (Perhaps that is why his victims suffer mental breakdowns, in order to further his reach to other humans affected by said victim's breakdown? a thought)

    Although, using this logic, doesn't that make you an easy contestant for the Slender Man's next chase, as you are practically delving into every possible mentioning of Slender Man? I'm sure you've taken this into account- and assuming you have, what precautions are you taking in case the thin man does contact you?

    Might I suggest you keep a journal with you, in case your mind happens to wonder to an interesting Slender theory when you have no access to this blog? And perhaps a small digital camera in case you happen to spot anything discernibly tall and faceless? (at this point I would also like to say you should keep $20 on you at all times as well...sorry, couldn't resist the opportunity to put that in there) And most importantly, stay safe and aware of what you're doing. Many a blog has started with a perfectly sane man chronicling his superstitions on Slender Man and have ended with his insane ramblings about him instead. (or worse case, with his death)

    I'm sure you know most of those tips already... but I'm sure it can't hurt to see that you are not alone while doing this, as I believe that is what truly drives His victims over the edge--their being alone.

    -An interested reader,
    Leina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leina,

    Thank you for the comment. I must say that I did make some rather serious errors in this entry, as you pointed out. In the case of Logan still being alive, I may have become confused with another blog (though which, I am not sure). Or perhaps I confused Logan with Joshua in my haste.

    As for the awareness factor, it is certainly an important element, though not one I have yet been able to determine a logical/physical reason explaining it at this moment.

    I do expect the Slender Man to begin targeting me, perhaps very soon. This is why I am trying to go through these logs so quickly: to prepare mentally as much as possible and find any useful information before a confrontation occurs. In fact, I hope for an encounter. That is the only way to collect any knowledge that cannot be inferred from existing documents.

    As for more physical preparations, I currently have a cell phone equipped with a camera (though not a very good one). I do not specifically carry a journal, but I typically have paper and pen on my person, so that is largely taken care of.

    As for being alone, I've been alone most of my life, save for a few family members. Few people like to associate with someone such as myself, and even fewer that I would like to associate with on a regular basis.

    Again, thank you for the comment. If you ever find any more errors, please do not hesitate to alert me. I cannot move forward if I only work with false information.

    ReplyDelete